The day that we gladiators have all been waiting for is almost here. In anticipation of the premiere of “Scandal” on Thursday; September 24, 2015, here is an repost of a review on Week Three’s episode, “Inside The Bubble”.
This week’s episode of our beloved Scandal was more poignant than polarizing. There were a few moments that were meant to draw you in closer to the emotions of the characters versus the usual break neck speed of solving all things in a matter of seconds. Some may call this episode “boring”. However, I think it gave the viewer a chance to know everyone on a different level. Here are 10 moments that had my attention
1. Lizzie Bear (Portia DeRossi) is dropping her child off at school and a gun lobbyist is on her case about the upcoming court date concerning gun control because she swore that she had the Rosen nomination under control and that obviously backfired. He is adamant that something be done and Lizzie explains that she has it all under control. Cue the scene of Michael sitting so perfectly at a table where Cyrus is bound to see him. Cyrus is surprised that Michael is attending law school. Michael responds, ” Because I’m a whore, I don’t have a brain”. Well, pretty much Michael. I mean, I am certain there are “whores” out in the world that maybe on mensa status and there could possibly be mensa alum that are “whores”. Yet, it is not a normal occurrence.
2. Livy goes to her father’s house. He immediately thinks something is wrong. She says that she was “just stopping by”. He then asked her to come in and he could cook breakfast and she reiterates that she was just stopping by. Sensing what his child is really saying, he informs her that reentry is hard. Everything is missing and everything is different. Olivia says, “Everything is colder.” Papa Pope states, everything is colder. But, I have always been cold. So, it was safe for you to come and see me. He invites Livy to dinner and ask her to bring Jake. Now we knew when that invitation was given there were going to be fireworks. No matter how happy Papa Pope is that Olivia is away from the President and in Jake’s arms, let us not forget that he can not stand Jake either. He is just lesser of the two evils. This is one of the poignant scenes in this episode. Livy and her father’s relationship is complicated to say the least. However, she went to him seeking comfort and he was thrilled she was there. There was no “get your arse on the plane moments” exchanged between them. It was simply… daddy and daughter.
3. Kathryn Winslow is an old law school friend of Olivia and Abby. She calls Abby looking for Olivia because her teen age daughter, Caitlyn is missing. When Livy, Quinn and Huck met with Kathryn she informs them that her daughter had gone “missing” before. But, she always showed back up within a few days. As Pope and Associates gets on the case, they find that Caitlyn has a boyfriend, Darren who says he had not spoken to her in a week. They also find her best friend, Faith who says she had not spoken to Caitlyn in a few days, either. Livy finds this behavior odd, considering BFFs check in on each other constantly. Huck is able to track her down to the Taft Hotel, where she has a room under Faith’s name. He informs Olivia, who informs the Kathryn. She tells Olivia that she will go and pick up her daughter her self and thank you.
4. Livy calls Jake and ask him to dinner and he agrees until she tell him the dinner is at her father’s home. He tells her is not her boyfriend and that he will not be attending dinner to “met the father”. When he hangs up the phone, we are shown that he is in some sort of parking garage. He walks up to a man at the vending machine. That man turns out to be Charlie, who Jake immediately slams his head into the vending machine glass. The next scene is Jake kneeling next to Charlie in one of their torture rooms, complete with heavy-duty plastic sheets. Jake is ready with his torturing tools ready to let Charlie have it. Charlie lets him know that its unnecessary. He will give him the information he needs for the right price. Turns out the right price is Quinn. (SIDENOTE: When Quinn balks at doing anything with Charlie, Jake says to her ” Who took you in when you had nowhere to go.” Now, if I remember correctly…wasn’t Papa Pope still Command when Quinn first showed up at B6 13…so, who exactly took her in? Hmmmm.) Jake locks them in the room and Charlie lets “Robin” know that she looks good. Tougher, stronger and more seasoned. “Cat got your tongue. You want me to get your tongue”, Charlie says. That little turn into ummm..romance sets Quinn off. She tells him that he thought she was going to run into his arms and be happy to see him. ” Sad Charlie, porn fantasy”, Quinn mocks him. Charlie gets mad and attempts to come at Quinn and she takes him down. (Alright now, Quinn. I don’t like her. But, that was a boss move.) The scene comes back, a camera shutters later and they are both lying on the floor with their backs turned to one another. He is talking to her about being lonely and she replies that she is not like him…that she has Livy, Huck and Jake. He says, “The truth is Robin, nobody else wants you…nobody.” Charlie and Quinn end up in this desperation kiss. But, the door opens and in walks Jake, ending the ummm…romance. Although, this scene is awkward, it is another moment where Shonda and the crew are allowing us to view the character’s human side. I do not know about anyone else. But, Charlie always came across as cold and I could never make up my mind last season if what he was sharing with Quinn was just a way to get her to fall into the trap or if he actually cared for her. We shall see…
5. At the opening of the episode, we see Mellie, Abby and others watching a news report on a wife who pushed her husband off a cliff in Yosemite. Mellie becomes engrossed in the news coverage. Later in the episode, she is pouring over documents and seems to have come out of her depression to look into the case. Fitz walks in and tells her that he has an hour or so before he has to be at a meeting and ask if she wants to go by the cemetery. Mellie tells him to go on without her as she reads her paperwork. Fitz is surprised and genuinely looks happy for his wife. He responses with “okay”. Later in the episode, Abby goes to see the President and tells him that the first lady is making crazy demands and she is worried. Fitz tells “Gabby”, the artist presently known as Abby to give Mellie what she wants. As Abby tries to rebuff him and state her concerns, Fitz yells at her to give her what she wants! Later, Mellie informs Abby that she wants to go to Yosemite to talk to the investigators about what she has uncovered. Abby tells her that it would not be a good idea. She agrees and says that they can fly Mr. Yosemite in. Near the end of the episode, FLOTUS has a full cabinet with reps from NASA, FBI, Department of Agriculture seated at the table when Mr. Yosemite arrives. ( Abby tried to inform Fitz about what was going down. But he brushed her off and says he will be by later.) As Mellie is presenting all of the detailed work she has done to prove that the bride did not push her husband off the cliff, Fitz walks in and is shocked at everybody sitting at the table…clearly uncomfortable. ” I didn’t know a cabinet meeting was going on”, he says. Mr Yosemite respectfully interrupts the first lady and states that she is right. Three witnesses had come forward saying they has witnessed the husband slipping and falling. Everyone says nothing. Fitz tries to save Mellie’s efforts. But his face is so pained for her. Abby-Gabby swoops in and gets her out of dodge, stating that she has another meeting to attend. Another emotional moment. Pssst…Emmy folks, go ahead and put Bellamy Young’s name on that golden, winged lady.
6. Rosen is losing the gun control battle in front of the 4th circuit court. He goes to see Fitz, who is clearly upset. He tells Rosen, that through him not being “elected” the first time, all the turmoil he has been through and losing his son, him being in office has to mean something. He can not just be the President and get nothing done. Scene goes to Rosen going into his “happy shed” and produces some document. The next time we see him, he is approaching Judge Sparks at a hot dog stands. He ask the judge how much did the NRA pay him for his vote. After his spiel about being “a judge with integrity and no one being able to but his vote”, Rosen throws down the hammer. He reminds Judge Sparks of 1992 and Rock Creek Parkway, where he killed a mother and daughter in a car accident. Judge has the shocked look on his face and the next scene is everyone celebrating at The White House because the bill was passed on a 2-1 vote. Soooo…is anyone thinking like me, that Rosen is like a mini Olivia Pope with the white hat on. He goes into that “happy shed” with ease these days and manages to come out with information that saves the day. Maybe now, he can stop being so scary all the time.
7. Camera shutter goes to Olivia asleep in bed and Huck walks in making nary a sound. He tells her she needs to see what he has found, which is a sex tape of Kathryn and her daughter Caitlyn’s boyfriend. There is also a voice mail where the daughter is telling the mom that she will be informing her dad of what she knew. Livy panics because she sent Kathryn to the hotel alone. When she calls the hotel, the police answer. Scene cuts to Kathyrn standing in the morgue identifying the body of her daughter. When Livy and Huck walk in, she asked for privacy and then hems Kathryn up on the wall asking her, ” What in the hell did you do?!” Kathryn tells Livy that yes, she did have a fling with a 17-year-old. However, she did not kill her daughter. Huck and Livy go about trying to figure out who killed Caitlyn. Later in the episode, they see video inside an elevator and Caitlyn is struggling with a man over a bag/laptop. This mystery was not solved by the end of the episode. Which means, we know what one of the plots will be on next week.
8. Quinn walks in on Olivia and Huck trying to solve the murder and is upset that they barely notice her. ( “The truth is Robin…nobody wants you.”) She gets them together real quick, informing Livy that she was able to find her on some remote island and she was there for them. Also, that the reason why Harrison is dead was because no-one was checking on each other. She was missing for 24 hours and nobody bothered to worry about where she was… and she smooth walks out on them. Later in the episode, she is working. Huck walks in and tells her, the next time she goes missing…he will come looking for her. She smiles.
9. Fitz asked to see Abby-Gabby. He pours her a drink and thanks her for saving Mellie and admits that he had underestimated her. She corrects him about calling her “Gabby”. As they sit down, he immediately starts asking her about Olivia. Rosen is informed that Judge Sparks committed suicide by shooting himself in the head. Cyrus falls for the okey dokey with Michael, the whore who immediately informs Lizzie Bear. Mellie is seemingly back into her depression as she lies on the couch staring at nothing.
10. Dinner at Papa Pope’s is awkward and silent. ( As, if it wouldn’t be anything other than that.) Papa Pope tells Jake that he appreciates him for keeping his daughter safe. Livy goes to take a phone call and as soon as she walks into the other room, Jake attempts to go in on elder Pope. He tells him that she knows that he had Harrison killed and that he killed the President’s son. He informs Papa Pope that he will walk away as Command and not contact Olivia again. Well, Papa Pope being the true boss that he is, stabs the top of a butcher knife between Jake’s fingers and pretty much tells him to have several pews in the cathedral. He is so unbothered by Jake and pretty much laughs in his face. Olivia returns to the dining room and tells them she has to cut dinner short because a client has called. Daddy Pope says ” Oh, that’s fine. We can try this another time because I am not going anywhere.” Hey Jake…take that, take that, take that!
Gladiators, Scandal is on the way. See you premiere week.